Integrating marksmanship skills, gear and mental abilities to hit small targets at extended distances, this fast-paced two day class addresses precision and intermediate-range scoped rifle marksmanship.
This class is fast paced, and involves a lot of walking and time spent in the prone shooting position as well as various field positions.
Topics Covered Include:
- Fundamentals of precision rifle shooting
- Equipment and support gear
- Fitting the rifle to the shooter
- Proper optic setup
- Position shooting
- Building a data book
- Rifle ballistics
- A bolt-action or semi-automatic centerfire rifle in .223, .308, or similar caliber (no magnums). Rifles should have a free-floating heavier profile barrel, (lightweight hunting or carbine-type barrels are not recommended). Optics need to be mounted with strong rings and mounts low enough to get a comfortable cheek weld on the stock. A quality scope with finger-adjustable knobs and a simple reticle (such as mil-dot or mil-hash) is strongly recommended. We will teach you to use what you have, and students have performed well in this class with a variety of optics, however, Mil/Mil optics seem to give people less trouble than other optics types in this class. It is recommended your rifle also be equipped with a sturdy bi-pod, tall enough for you to comfortably shoot from the prone position. There are a multitude of options available and setting up a precision rifle can be confusing. Please contact us prior to class with your rifle specifications if you have any questions.
- Ammunition – 200 rounds of quality match grade ammunition. (This class will involve shooting at steel targets, please do not bring steel jacketed, steel core – A.K.A. green tip, armor piercing, tracer, incendiary or other exotic ammunition types)
- Shooting Mat
- Personal Protective Equipment: Hearing protection (muffs, plugs, or both), and eye protection (ANSI Z.87 or MilSpec strongly recommended)
- Water, lunch, snacks
- Rain/Sun gear and sunscreen, or bug repellant as necessary
- Other range gear as desired (mag loaders, spotting scope, tools, etc…)
Course Fees and Requirements
$300 per person (+tax where applicable) payable in full on class start date.
Class Size = 8